March 23, 2012

Life Lessons

   If you remember from my last post I mentioned that I was excited to read the book "Rescuing Sprite" by Mark Levin. I did read that... all if one day! :) It was a very good book, also very sad and real. Mark Levin did an excellent job of expressing his emotions in words. I felt like I was listening to him talk throughout the whole book. I also felt like I could feel the immense love he has for his family and dogs. If you are looking for a book to read that has meaning, this is it.

   I wrote down several of the passages that stood out to me, so I thought I would share them. I entitled this post "Life Lessons" because I believe that dogs teach us many things about life and Mark Levin definitely pointed out these things. Some of these are simple, straight forward ideas that we should do daily, others are ones that I (or we) might not think about often enough.


  • "There is nothing like the loyalty and love dogs have for their families."
  • "Career and financial goals are important, material acquisitions are necessary, but taking stock in life's little pleasures is the most satisfying experience of all."
  • "Your family is the most important part of your life. It is your legacy and your immortality."
  • "Enjoy life."
  • "No time on Earth is long enough to share with those we love or to prepare our hearts for good bye." 
  • "Dogs are the essence of love."
  • "The act of getting close provides joy."
  • "It is all worth it in the end."
  • "Appreciate the joy and love the present."
  • "Dogs provide the purity of earnest unconditional love, loyalty, and devotion that touches the core of our humanity."
  • "Dogs are selfless."
  • "Pets are the only creatures who give humans unconditional love. Your pet never yells at your, rejects you, tells you to go to hell, or argues with you."
  • "We are the lucky ones." 

   I think that we learn many things daily from our pets and from our loved ones. I hope to keep each of these life lessons in mind and to practice them. I think this book hit me particularly hard because I do have a pup that is up there in age and unfortunately have to realize that she is not immortal, even though I would like her to be. I also read this whole book with her cuddled up on my lap, which probably increased the emotions I was feeling. Anyways, I could go on and on about dogs I will spare you your time and end this post. :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I think the one about enjoying the little pleasures is the most important thing to remember. Puppies are the best, aren't they? I hope you had a good break too! :)

    ReplyDelete