January 24, 2015

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet- Sophia Hudson


Also known as, one of my most favorite easy reads ever! My mother-in-law stumbled upon Miss Boo Mama's blog and soon after told me to read this book ASAP. I remember reading it right after finishing up my first semester of graduate school when I thought I was going to die and the last thing I wanted to do was read. But, boy was I wrong. I am so glad I read this book and now I read everything that is written by her or any of her friends. They make me laugh and I kind of just want to be them sometimes.

Some of my favorite things that Miss Sophie wrote I highlighted and jotted down in my journal and want to remember forever. Miss Sophie is a hoot and a half (I think that would be a phrase she would say) and she is a lovely southern gal so you can't help but love her. These are her words, not mine, I just wanted to write them down for my memory and because y'all need to read this book!

"The welcome mat is out, the crazy is on full display, and there's always room for one more around our table." - the southerner's motto

I want to remember and keep this motto in mind- ya know you can't ever have too many bodies at a dinner table. Speaking of which... I can't wait to have an actual dinner table!

Love... is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by the grace which both partners ask and receive from God.- C.S. Lets

Boy am I glad we receive grace from God because He knows I need it.... a lot of it. My love habits sometimes a lot of the time stink.

"Life with kids: fun and fulfilling, it can be an also and a choice. "- wow Miss Sophie way to open my eyes... so you're telling me having kids can be a definitive choice or just an also. Way to make this baby fever/pusher awayer? open her eyes.

"Having a wedding is easy, being married is hard". Enough said.

"God is so much better than I deserve"- AMEN sister!

Miss Sophie was talking about Ephesians 3:20-21 as she was talking about her plans vs. God's plans. God's plans are "immeasurably more" and I just love that phrase. God prepares you for it even when it's nowhere on your to do list. That God of ours, sure am thankful for Him.

...Learned to listen and to laugh, to forgive, some Earthly love is unconditional God is always at work in the day to day.

"Sometimes the Lord has to take us back to a place we've been so He can remind us how far we've come."

Good news- He can meet us anywhere.

Miss Sophie states that "the character of a marriage is forged in the difficult times when you're grappling with heartbreak or illness or disappointment or even betrayal."

She spoke about a specific verse that she prayed over for her baby and I think I highlighted and circled that verse twice. Ephesians 3:16-19

She also stated a simple fact of life- "Southerners love their grandmothers"! Yes they do!

God is always doing something the very best thing, the thing we ourselves would certainly choose if we knew the end from the beginning He is at work to bring us to our full glory- Elisabeth Elliot

His plan is always greater than our plans.

Remember the Lord's goodness. Say it out loud. Thank Him for what He has done for you in the past. Make a list of what you've seen Him do in your life. Speak it. Remember.

I haven't done this yet, but writing down here again makes me want to do this.

"Life isn't always easy sometimes you will get your feelings hurt, sometimes you may even be the one who does the hurting, but you stay with it. And you get after it, and you love each other, and you forgive, and you keep coming back to the table."

Sometimes I don't want to go back to the table, but life is beautiful even when its messy so Miss Sophie's statement is a good reminder to keep on trucking.

**"At the dinner table the Lord gets to work. He knits together our hearts, strengthens our bonds, and connects our narratives. The table is where he links generations, where he prompts us t join hands and bow head and remember and laugh and pass our stories back and forth to each other."

I have always loved family dinners and I think I have figured out why... As Miss Sophie says, the table is where God is doing work!



No comments:

Post a Comment