May 26, 2012

Love Makes The World Go Round

    The other day I was reading my daily 1-minute devotional that I get from You Version on my i phone... The topic was "divorce prevention" and it provided a startling statistic. It stated that 1 in 2 marriages will fail... I knew the divorce rate was high and I have actually seen the new textbooks say the divorce rate is 50%, but seeing the numbers 1 in 2 really blew me away.

The devotional passage went on to state that there are 12 words that should be spoken and lived out daily.
     These words were:
       " I love you"
       " I admire you"
       " I was wrong"
       " Please forgive me"

The passage also stated that expressing love and admiration are the ingredients for divorce prevention. I could not agree more... If only we humans could love as God loved. If only we could look past all of the issues and the ugly stuff. This also got me thinking about the love dogs show us.

I have written about a dog's love before, but I do not think I expressed the need for this type of love. I just wish that we could all love as our dogs love us. A dog's love is always unconditional. A dog's love never comes with "ifs, ands, or buts". A dog's love is never untrusting. I was reminded of this excerpt from the movie and book "Marley and Me" and I think it explains the love we need to have quite perfectly.


"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. 

A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. 

It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not. 

As I wrote that farewell column to Marley, I realized it was all right there in front of us, if only we opened our eyes. Sometimes it took a dog with bad breath, worse manners, and pure intentions to help us see."  ― John Grogan

I just wish that everyone in the whole world could have a love so pure, but I know that is near impossible. I also know that type of love is waiting for me in heaven and I could not be more grateful. I wish I could see more of it on a daily basis down here on Earth... Until then I will continue to cling to the people who do love me and hold tight to the many dogs that hold a huge place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment