October 2, 2015

How we found out we were pregnant

We found out we were pregnant on Monday August 24, 2015.

I have always imagined how I would tell cam in some super cute way and get it all on video. After all, I do read these mom blogs all the time. And I had always dreamed about how one day I would get to explain to my kids the memories we had from "finding out".

On Monday morning the 24th I woke up not feeling "pregnant" but wanted to put my mind at ease so I took a pregnancy test before work. Little did I know that in less than a minute there would be TWO blue lines on that test. I was kind of shocked as I had not expected to get pregnant so soon. Let me back track. Cam and I traveled to Cabo at the beginning of July and after that trip we decided I should get off my birth control pill as I had been on it since I was a teenager and he had heard some stories about people not being able to get pregnant for over a year. I had also read that sometimes it could take 6 months to a year for the pill to get completely out of your system so I was on board with Cam's idea. I ended up starting my period the last day of our cabo trip, also happened to be my 24th birthday so I remember the exact day. That period was normal and I quit taking the pill and didn't experience anything too crazy for the weeks following. I did notice that I had some mood swings, but associated  that to stress. I was super nervous about what this cycle was going to be like because it would have been the first cycle in 10 years without bc and I had heard of and read some horror stories.

Well the estimated time for my first period without being on the pill came and went so after being a week late I took that test. Back to August 24th, one positive pregnancy test hidden in the guest bathroom and I head into work like nothing is different. And for a little bit more background, I work with Cams family. I am in the front office with his mom all day long, his brother works there and his dad. Oh, and Cam works at the other office down the road. So I kept this crazy secret all day long. When I got home after work I immediately took two more tests. This time I took the Clearblue digital pregnancy tests and just as quickly those two little things flashed the word PREGNANT at me.

So after containing myself and looking at myself in the mirror I decided that I needed to tell Cam as soon as he got home. So I set up a little onesie that I had left over from one of my sister in law's gender reveal parties last year, a baseball that I wrote "World's best dad" and all three pregnancy tests on the coffee table. Cam has a routine of coming home from work and plopping down on the couch so I assumed that is what he would do on this day. Nope, he didn't. I was in the kitchen organizing our filing cabinet that I had just created and he decided he wanted to come in the kitchen and look through the papers with me... So I didn't say anything and let him go on with being nosy and after what felt like forever he headed over to the couch. He sat down reached for the remote and saw my little set up.






He immediately turned to me and asked "are you pregnant" "really"?! I smiled and nodded my head yes from the kitchen and he came and gave me a huge hug. Then we both let it all sink in and started calculating how far along I was. I asked if he was happy and he said of course! We also were wondering how in the heck we were going to keep this secret from our people. We had guessed that I was about 6 weeks at that time according the my menstrual cycle. Later that week I scheduled our doctor's appointment but it wasn't for another 3 weeks so that meant our lips were sealed for 3 weeks. It was a huge secret and one that I have no idea how we kept! Welcome to the beginning of the story of Baby Mav!




2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely precious!!! I don't how you were able to keep the secret all day around his family. I don't think I would be able to do that around Matthew's family haha. So excited for y'all!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby! And I have no idea how I managed!

      Delete