November 8, 2012

Superstorm Sandy

    I wrote this post last week and never published it... The East coast is now being hit by crazy cold weather and a lot of snow. Been a pretty crazy year of weather. Still praying for everyone being affected and hope everyone stays warm and bundled up.

Sandy will go down in the history books for many reasons. This superstorm that hit the East Coast Tuesday, October 30th made its mark on the whole nation. New York is known as the "city that never sleeps". Well, it has been sleeping... There are still millions of people with out power all over the East coast. The pictures of the aftermath are hear-breaking. The stories that we will continue to hear throughout the process of cleaning up after this storm are heart-wrenching.

I followed this storm on the news and through social media just as millions of other people did. I watched from my quiet and warm town in Oklahoma. I felt the same feelings watching the devastation of this storm as I did back in 2001 when I was just a small 5th grader watching the Twin Towers fall to the ground.

While watching the news coverage of this storm I could not help but feel the pain and sorrow these people are going through. Many people have lost their lives, whole neighborhoods have burnt to the ground, so many houses are flooded and even floated away into the ocean.

Times like these make me thankful. I am thankful for the first responders. I am thankful for the news reporters who are also risking their lives and away from their own families in order to be able to update us. Thankful for the nurses and doctors at NYU Medical who kept so many patients alive during that power outage. I am thankful for the time spent with my own family.

Here are some of the most heart-wrenching pictures that will forever be engrained in my mind. Superstorm Sandy has taken away many things but, it has not taken away the hope of our nation. We will rebuild. We will remain thankful.









All pictures are taken from the abc news website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment