April 10, 2015

Our first home

     We have been living in our house for a little over two months. I am starting to feel more comfortable in it and it is feeling more like ours. I know making a house a home takes time and is a process, but I often times forget that and think that it should all happen over one weekend. It's been many weekends and I only just started putting stuff on the wall and we can finally say that we no longer have any leaks from any plumbing. I am going to go ahead and not hold my breath on that one... Seriously every day for two months someone (mainly my dad) was over working on a leak somewhere in this house.

I am starting to love our little home. I am moving on from the feelings of being claustrophobic in the small living area. I am also getting over the fact that my floors will always have paw prints, mud, dirt, sand, you name it on them.

With two dogs, one being a wild puppy, it's almost impossible to keep anything clean. The OCD clean person inside me is freaking out and the other part of me is singing "let it go" and laughing while watching the wild puppy jump from couch to couch. This crazy, unsure, not too comfortable season of life is where we are right now and I am learning to love it. I can only imagine what God is preparing my heart and mind for in the future with this season. On the daily I am texting cam at least 4 times asking when he is going to get home... because I just can't handle the dogs anymore.

And before you get too judgy just know that our yard has no fence other than the fence our neighbors put up. That means that my dogs, who normally listen fairly well, can explore and run just about every where. And that they do. I have to go to the back door every 5 minutes to make sure they have not disappeared. Once again, I know this is some type of lesson that I will need to have learned in the future and I will look back on this and roll my eyes out of my head.

Anyways... back to our Fixer Upper. I have a constant list of ideas and wants that pop into my head and am constantly texting Cam and my dad new plans. They both remind me that we have to go "one step at a time" and sometimes I want to throw something at them when they tell me that. But really our to do list right now consists of the following

  • Mow and clean up the yard... the dogs do love playing in the grass that is taller than them, but we are starting to look like we abandoned the lot. Our yard is also full of just random stuff the previous owners left and we are contemplating what to do with it. I am itching to start our garden and flower beds! We have plum trees and a pecan tree in the front yard and I have big plans for the back yard.
  • Paint kitchen cabinets- y'all I am getting my white cabinets! I cannot wait to share more about this... that would require me to take pictures, so I will get working on that. 
  • Clean oven and fix the vent hood... we have been living like college students, running back and forth to our parents and eating pizza on the reg
  • Fix front and back door... we have a beautiful old rickety screen door on the back porch and we have to figure out how to fix it so the door closes or get a new one. If we do get a new one I am hoping we can convert the old screen door into our pantry door!
  • Speaking of pantry... we have to get that together too. It currently has two random shelves and that leaves no room for anything. I have big plans for that little pantry!
Next up... House inspiration and some before pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment